From 1983 to 1986 Jim Benson and Deaton Mitchell were the FPA Worlds Open Pairs champions, setting the record at four consecutive wins in Open Pairs. It’s an achievement that has yet to be equaled. Based on the FPA Worlds winners list at freestyle-frisbee.com, the closest anyone has come seems to be Dave Lewis and I with three wins and a second place over four years (1st-2nd-1st-1st). Tom Leitner has a crazy streak of three titles, three second places and a fourth place between 2003 and 2009 (2nd-2nd-1st-2nd-4th-1st-1st). Joey Hudoklin, Skippy Jammer, Dan Yarnell, Dave Schiller, Matt Gauthier, Jake Gauthier and Matteo Gaddoni have all won two titles within four years.
So many variables have to fall into place for this record beyond being a great player. No ill-timed injuries or illness. A consistently high level of competition play. No other teams having career performances in the finals. Judges appreciating your play. No random puffs of wind at unfortunate times. It makes the Blasters’ four year run even more amazing.
Videos three of their four wins are now available on YouTube. Enjoy the dominance.
Win #2: 1984
Win #3: 1985
Win #4: 1986
The fourpeat. Oh, and it’s dropless too.
I’ll update this post when the video from 1983 surfaces.
Matt Gauthier, Lisa Hunrichs and Arthur Coddington all scored double wins on the final day of the 2013 FPA World Championships in Santa Cruz, California. The champions:
Women’s Pairs: Lisa Hunrichs/Cindy St. Mary
Open Pairs: Arthur Coddington/Jake Gauthier
Mixed Pairs: Lisa Hunrichs/Matt Gauthier
Open Co-op: Arthur Coddington/Matt Gauthier/Dave Murphy
The finalists in Open Co-op, Women’s Pairs and Open Pairs were determined on the third ay of the 2013 FPA World Championships in Santa Cruz, California.
The winners of the semifinal pools in Open Co-op were Larry Imperiale/Randy Silvey/Bill Wright and Jake Gauthier/Paul Kenny/Jeff O’Brien. Lisa Hunrichs/Cindy St. Mary qualified first for the Women’s Pairs Final. The winners of the semifinal pools in Open Pairs were Claudio Cigna/Marco Prati and Matt Gauthier/James Wiseman. Complete results are below.
The mixed pairs finalists at the 2013 FPA World Championships are set, led by Amy Schiller/Dave Schiller and Irena Kulisanova/Randy Silvey. The Open Pairs even also kicked off with the quarterfinals. Pool winners included Claudio Cigna/Marco Prati, Joakim Arveskär/Reto Zimmerman, Clay Collera/Andrea Dini and Arthur Coddington/Jake Gauthier. Complete results below.
2013 FPA World Championships
August 15, 2013
Santa Cruz, CA
OPEN CO-OP QUARTERFINALS
(Top 4 teams advance to the semifinals)
1. Tom Leitner/Mike Reid/Dave Schiller (64.3: E 25.6; AI 21.3; D 17.4) [video]
2. Manuel Cesari/Claudio Cigna/Marco Prati (60.7: E 25.5; AI 18.6; D 16.6) [video]
3. Lisa Hunrichs/Rodney Sanchez/Jonathan Willett (53.1: E 22.9; AI 17.2; D 13.0)
4. Ryuichi Suzuki/John Titcomb/Alfonso Velez (44.9: E 21.9; AI 12.3; D 10.7) [video]
5. Alessandro Berra/Dario Marioni/Lorenzo Modaraelli (31.2: E 15.1; AI 7.5; D 8.6) [video]
1. Larry Imperiale/Randy Silvey/Bill Wright (60.4: E 24.4; AI 15.2; D 20.8) [video]
2. Mike Galloupe/Pat Marron/Rico Schneider (59.6: E 25.8; AI 13.9; D 19.9) [video]
3. Mehrdad Houssanian/Daniel O’Neill/Joel Rogers (59.6: E 25.1; AI 14.9; D 19.6) [video]
4. Lori Daniels/Tony Pellicane/Cindy St. Mary (54.7: E 23.2; AI 13.6; D 17.9) [video]
5. Danny Cameranesi/Z Weyand/Dave Zeff (53.7: E 23.2; AI 13.6; D 16.9) [video]
1. Joakim Arveskär/Clay Collera/Reto Zimmerman (68.6: E 26.5; AI 25.2; D 16.9) [video]
2. Rainer Doerr/Matteo Feller/Andrea Meola (64.0: E 28.2; AI 19.9; D 15.9) [video]
3. James Wiseman/Dan Yarnell/Ryan Young (56.8: E 22.4; AI 18.2; D 16.2) [video]
4. Toddy Brodeur/Robert Dittrich/Jens Friebe (54.4: E 22.1; AI 18.4; D 13.9) [video]
5. Carl Dobson/Jens Velasquez/Scott Weaver (51.9: E 21.7; AI 15.9; D 14.3) [video]
1. Arthur Coddington/Matt Gauthier/Dave Murphy (71.1: E 27.3; AI 22.0; D 21.8) [video]
2. Jake Gauthier/Paul Kenny/Jeff O’Brien (64.4: E 25.0; AI 19.3; D 20.1) [video]
3. Alan Caplin/Dan Lustiger/Johnny Trevino (52.7: E 24.2; AI 12.1; D 16.4) [video]
4. Irena Kulisanova/Mary Lowery/Char Powell (49.9: E 22.6; AI 13.0; D 14.3) [video]
5. Dan Schmitt/Craig Simon/Rick Williams (44.8: E 20.2; AI 10.8; D 13.8) [video]]
6. Geary Geare/Jay Hinkle/Charles Logan (38.6: E 14.7; AI 10.5; D 13.4) [video]